8000 Club View Drive
College Grove, TN 37046
Reports to Superintendent
Discovery Land Company’s newest golf course community Troubadour. The golf course is currently under a Tom Fazio renovation with planned Bent grass greens, Zeon Zoysia fairways, Meyer Zoysia intermediate rough, and Tall Fescue along the hole corridors.
Primary current responsibility is to help with the golf course construction and grow in of new turf. Responsible for all activities related to the care of common grounds, shop area, and equipment. Also, applying relevant landscaping, horticultural principles to assure that quality standards are consistently achieved and/or exceeded. Assists the Superintendent with planning and implementing budget and operating plans. Helps trains and supervises a growing staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to Company operating policies and procedures to ensure cost containment.
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved at minimum employee cost.
- Supervise and perform various maintenance duties to maintain the golf course in proper playing condition according to Company standards.
- Supervise then development and maintenance of drainage, irrigation, pumping and water reservoir systems.
- Supervise all planting, fertilizing and care of turf, plants, shrubs, and trees on the golf course and grounds. Assist with the development and implementation of a fertilizer, aeration and Integrated Pest Management program for proper turf grass and plant care.
- Supervise course construction projects.
- Supervise equipment maintenance and repair operations. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, vehicles, etc.
- Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas, lunch room areas, restrooms, etc.
- Monitor the purchase ordering and receiving program to maintain proper inventories of supplies and ensure proper quantity and price on all purchases.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, discipline and termination, etc.
- Maintain accurate records for pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices. Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary and related reports.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Perform other duties as appropriate.
- High school education required, college degree preferred.
- 2-3 years golf course maintenance, supervisory and/or management experience.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Full Benefit package including insurance, vacation, sick, and holiday pay
- Membership to GCSAA and local chapter
- Golfing Privilege
- Pay based on experience
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. May be exposed to inclement weather, potentially dangerous chemicals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, misdirected golf balls, sharp and rapid equipment movement daily. Injury may result because of exposure to the above if safety policies and practices are not properly followed.
General office machines such as typewriters, personal computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, telephones, etc. Golf cars, trucks, spray equipment, mowers, heavy machinery.
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers with or without the use of two-way radios.
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions and supervise subordinates
- Visually inspect all work areas, golf course and grounds
- See players on the golf course, and to follow the flight of golf balls
- Operate vehicles and equipment for several hours at a time
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources
- Stand, sit, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time
- Lift up to 100 lbs. occasionally, 50 lbs. frequently, and 20 lbs. constantly
Send resumes to
Thurston Farrar, Class A Golf Course Superintendent
8000 Club View Drive
College Grove, TN 37046